I’m re-reading Democrat POTUS candidate Marianne Williamson’s 1992 bestseller A Return To Love: Reflections on the Principles of A COURSE IN MIRACLES. Because, why not? It’s on my bookshelf and I’m a believer in first principles, or rewarded behaviors being foundational for a person’s thoughts, feelings, and behaviors.
I’m surmising from declarations from the book that launched her successful career as spiritual healer and guru. This was her first book. In 2019 she authored A Politics of Love: A Handbook for a New American Revolution. That book was part of her 2020 presidential quest. She’s authored nine books. All non-fiction and in the self-help genre.
As I said, I believe people continue on a path if they are rewarded. [That’s our reptilian brain (or Id).] at work. Here is Williamson’s platform. [I’ve numbered them for easy reference. ;-)]
- When we were born, we were programed perfectly.
- Love is what we were born with.
- The meaning of life … is Love.
- Love isn’t seen with the physical eyes or heard with the physical ears.
- It has nothing to do with the physical world.
- The truth doesn’t stops being the truth because we’re not looking at it.
- The problem is we’re terrified.
- A miracle is just a shift in perception.
- Love is God.
- Love is energy.
- Fear is the root of evil.
- Fear is an illusion.
- Thought is Cause; experience is Effect.
- Freud defined neurosis as separation from Self.
- We get in life, that which we focus on.
- Fear makes us neurotic.
- We’re precious because of what we are, not what we do.
- The ego is our mental power turned against ourselves.
- God comes to us in many forms.
- The purpose of life is to grow into our perfection.
- Our species is in trouble because we fight too much.
- Prince Charming is the Holy Spirit.
- Faith is a psychological awareness of an unfolding force for good …
- Love one another. Because if we don’t, we will all die.
- We’re always fighting for something. [Masculine force.]
- The feminine process is a quieting of the mind.
- Feminine consciousness exerts power through attraction rather than activity.
- We don’t have to be struggling all the time.
- Behavior is a world of illusion.
- The laws of scarcity and death rule this world.
- Our self-perception determines our behavior.
- We have a mission–to save the world through the power of love.
- Brilliance is the capacity to forget the past and forget the future.
- The world of time is not the real world.
- Our creativity makes us hysterical, it drives us insane.
- If we’re peaceful, life will be peaceful.
- When things look the worst, God does tend to appear.
- All we have to do is ask for His help.
- Do you prefer that you be right or happy?
- All thought is thought about ourselves.
- Projection makes perception.
- There are only two emotions: love and fear.
- All minds are continuous.
- Denial or suppression of emotions is unsound.
- No meetings are accidental.
- People are energy, not physical substance.
- There is no such thing as objectively attractive or unattractive.
Just kidding. Because the above declarations covers only to page 112. However, that’s enough!
are that Marianne Williamson is a grifter, snake-oil salesperson, or charlatan. Take your pick. But, what does that make me?
I read A Return to Love, when it first came out, in 1992. Thought it was great and highlighted many passages. At forty-two, I was just two years older than Marianne. I was adrift – psychologically and emotionally – having just been divorced. I didn’t know who I was. In other words, I was separated from my Self.
However, I didn’t return to love. What I did return to was college; and got a degree in Psychology. That launched a “second life” (?) for me.
I do agree with some of the declarations. Still. There is truth in some of what she says. Some overlap with the Law of Attraction, which I do think has merit and aligns with both history and psychological theory.
I think Williamson is blind to her own delusion. She has a Messiah Complex. After all, her beliefs have worked out very well for her. She’s wealthy and successful – running for president of the United States. She’s polling now around 10% and has the support of Krystal Ball and other progressives. Ten percent is where Trump started in 2015. But there’s a big difference.
Donald Trump worked/works in the real world. In addition, because of that he was the 45th president of the United States. I think this Slate article nails what’s up with Williamson.
Williamson’s support is coming mostly from young people and a few older idealists like Ball. Young people are desperate – things are looking bleak. I get it. I fell for her spiel when I was desperate and alone. That’s who charlatans target. But in her defense – she believes what’s she’s selling. It worked for her. Rewarded behavior will be repeated.
What do you think? Have you read A Return To Love? Can a spiritual guru lead the most powerful/forceful country in the real world? Let me know in the comments.